How do I configure and send email using the email automation system?
How to Configure and Schedule Automated Email
Location: Marketing > Useful Tools > Email Automation
Overview: Schedule the delivery of mass email messages based on user behavior, current workflow status, or time stamp. Key point of information:
- All automations are bound to objects in the Precis database including (but not limited to) contacts, orders, sales leads, service cases and the time at which they were created.
- Emails may be automated to send immediately, or at a set length of time from when the object was created.
- Email automation may contain many communications, each with different rules and logical forks to make sure the best message is sent at the best possible time.
- Many filters may be added to a message to create complex filters and contact profiles.
Process: Creating the Email Automation
1. Automation Information/Scope
- Select a name for the automation. Your contacts will not see this name; it is for your organizational purposes only.
- Select which system object the automation will apply to. The list will be limited to the object in the system that you have permission to work with.
2. Marketing Campaign Information
- Optional: Select the marketing campaign that this automation will be tracked under. You may select "None" if this automation will not be tracked as a marketing campaign.
- Active automations will be queried and queued every 5 minutes. Setting automation to "Inactive" will allow you to create all the required communications, however no emails will be sent.
Click the "Save New Automation" button.
You will now be directed to a screen which summarizes what you have just created. Note, there are no "Communications" in the automation as of yet. "Communications" are the actual email messages and rule sets that will be followed to communicate with your contacts.
Process: Creating a Communication within an Automation (Click the "Create New Communication" button)
1. Message and Content
- Enter a name for the communication. This name will not be seen by your contacts, it is for your organizational purposes only.
- Select the "Mailer" to be sent from your list of existing email messages.
- Enter a "Subject" for the communication. Your contacts will see the subject in their email clients upon receipt.
- Select an "Ad/Tracking Code" to track the communication. If you did not select a campaign for the Email Automation, there will be no options to select from.
- Enter a "From Name" for the communication. Your contacts will see this in their email client.
- Enter a "From Address". Note, this must be a valid email address or your communication will likely be flagged as SPAM.
- Select either "Immediately" or select a lag of N days to send your communication. By selecting "Immediately," the communication will be sent to any contact meeting all criteria at the next system pass (likely < 5 minutes)
- If you have selected a lag time for the communication, you may also select a time of day for the system to run. If you have selected "Immediately" this setting will not affect the send.
3. Filters - using filters will allow you to create complex profiles based on user behavior and current workflow phases.
- Bind to Phase - this will allow you to only send to contacts that are tied to objects in a selected phase. For example, you can send your automation only to sales leads that are in the "qualified" phase of the workflow.
- Send on Decision Point - will toggle the behavior to include or exclude the communication based on the workflow being in a "decision point" phase.
- Send on Outcome Phase - will toggle the behavior to include or exclude the communication based on the workflow begin in an "outcome" phase. For example, if we want to send a communication to abandoned shopping carts, we would select "no" on both decision point and outcome phase because we only want to find contacts that have started to shop, but not completed the process.
- Suppress with Other Conversions within - if a contact has placed an order or otherwise converted into a lead, order, or goal within the given time frame, they will be excluded.
- Suppress with Previous Views within - if a contact has received the mailer within a given time frame, they will be excluded.
- Status - only active communications will be fired. Setting a communication to inactive will remove it from the system query.
4. Advanced Profiling
- Contacts in Groups - allows you create additional filters based on membership to groups and/or lists. For example, you may select several filters AND bind the list to only go to contacts in the "Customers" group.
- Have Purchased Products - allows you to further filter the list based on the customer having purchased a product. For example, you can set a communication to send re-order reminders for products that may have a fixed supply or expiration.
Click the "Save New Communication" button.
To create additional communications, repeat. You may create as many communications under a single automation as you wish including forks and parallel logic.